Stephanie Muya is the Founder of Fortitude Kenya a youth led organization operating in Kenya and East Africa to uphold equality and advocate for the rights of the youth. Their mission is to empower and inspire the youth to be agents of change in the economic, political and social aspects of their lives and to champion for their rights.
Fortitude Kenya Pillars:
• Democratic Rights and Good Governance
• Realization of Sexual Reproductive Health Rights
• Socio-Economic empowerment
Aim of the Forum
-The forum seeks to evaluate the level of youth involvement in public participation forums at the county level and encourage them to participate fully in the governance process. As a result the youth will be able to present their agenda and exercise their duly accorded right and to ultimately advocate for a leadership that is fully aware of civil liberties, political processes, good governance and best practices for generation of favorable political patronage after 2017 general elections.
-The forum will focus on individual patriotism, personal integrity, community building, understanding the budget cycle and strategic planning to enhance their realization of Article 1(2) of the Constitution of Kenya 2010
Youth from different counties and representatives of different youth led organizations.
Venue of the Forum: Technical University of Kenya Theatre
Date: November 19th 2015
Topics to be discussed:
• Personal Integrity/Patriotism
What does it mean to be a patriot? How can we best represent ourselves in a democratic manner? What does it mean to be a Kenyan, a patriot as per the Constitution? Are we part of an active citizenry or could we be less bothered?
• Public Finance Management
Do we understand the county budget cycles? Where and what are our opportunities as youth in this process? Why should we participate? How can we keep the county government in check, monitor expenditure and ensure equity in resource division?
• Strategic Planning
How can we as young people organize ourselves to effectively advocate for the adoption of a plan by the county government?
• Accessing Government Opportunities
What opportunities are there for advancement by the youth? Can public participation be used as a tool to encourage access to the development funds and tendering processes set aside for the youth?
George Githinji- Ugatuzi Kenya
Kevin Osido- County Governance Watch
Mentor Ida Ng’anga- African Union Youth Working Group
Lilian Muchoki- Sauti Ya Jamii Programme
Stephanie Muya – Fortitude Kenya
Samuel Mbiu- Sauti ya Jamii Programme
1.30pm to 1.50pm Arrival and Registration Fortitude Kenya
1.50pm to 2.10 pm Opening Remarks Stephanie Muya
2.10 pm to 4.10 pm Panel Presentations Moderated by Sam Mbiu
4.10 pm to 4.40 pm Plenaries Moderated by Sam Mbiu
4.50 pm to 5.20 pm Moving forwards: Resolutions and Best Practices to apply Lilian Muchoki
5.20 pm to 5.30 pm Closing Remarks; Vote of Thanks Network of Young Women Leaders
Fortitude Kenya has been actively involved in the following:
• Formation of Alliance For Transformational Leadership (A4TL Kenya) which is a coalition of youth led organizations working in Kenya that have come together to enhance the participation of the youth in democratic processes by advocating for an active citizenry and transformational leadership.
• Campaigns that advocate for human rights and their observation, they were part of the organizing committee of My Dress My Choice peaceful demonstration to create awareness on the rights of women in public spaces.
• Facilitation of Civic Education Projects in Kiambu County on the theme Informed Citizenry: Realization of Democracy
• A discourse on the participation of youth in politics themed Transformational Leadership: Youth in Politics. They organized this meeting to bring together youth led organizations working to incubate leaders in the communities to create areas of synergy and discuss key challenges that need to be addressed with regards to having a generation of well-rounded youth leaders come 2017 elections
• Ficha Uchi Campaign, Kiambu County Edition
Like their Facebook Page: Fortitude Kenya
Do you have a question? Send it to email@example.com
About Youth County Projects Kenya
Do you know of any youth project being implemented in other counties in Kenya apart from your own? If the answer is No, we at Youth County Projects Kenya are focused on bridging the gap regarding lack of knowledge and awareness of youth projects being implemented in the 47 counties by Non-Governmental Organizations, Civil Society Organizations, Private Sector, National Government, County Governments, donors and individuals. This platform also seeks to motivate youth to initiate projects in their respective communities to achieve Vision 2030.
Follow us on:
Facebook: Youth Projects Kenya
Sharing is caring, click on one of the following buttons below to share this post with your friends.
Share the post “Invitation to attend a forum in Nairobi County on public participation where you will be empowered on how to engage actively with your County Government”